We at St. Andrew’s-by-the-Sea are pleased to share in the joyous event of your wedding. In the Episcopal Church, the rite of marriage is a sacred event. This requires the use of the Episcopal order of service for the celebration and blessing of a marriage, as printed in the Book of Common Prayer, or the use of a very similar service.
St. Andrew’s is available for weddings from mid-May until mid-October. The maximum seating capacity is 150 people. The wedding couple is responsible for their own minister, or we can assist you with finding a minister since we do not have a “permanent” minister on our staff. The principal ordained minister in the ceremony can be an Episcopal priest, or another clergy of another Christian denomination. They are also welcome to assist an Episcopal priest at your wedding. A list of available clergy can be provided if you do not already have a minister who has agreed to officiate at your wedding. For more information please consult with our wedding coordinator as indicated below.
Points to discuss with your Minister
- The exact dates and times of both the wedding and the rehearsal
- The specifics of the ceremony including the rules of St. Andrews
- Musical selections (some clergy allow only sacred or classical music)
- Photography, videotaping and/or recording of the ceremony
- License for out-of-state minister: If your minister is from out-of-state, s/he must obtain a one-day license from the State of New Hampshire to perform your wedding. Write or call: New Hampshire Secretary of State, State House, Room 204, Concord, NH 03301 Telephone: (603) 271-3242
- A donation to your minister of $250+ in advance or at the rehearsal is suggested
Flowers, Decorations, etc.
Because of the diminutive proportions and beauty of the chapel, experience dictates that “less is more” in planning your decorations. Guidelines are below:
- Maximum of one flower arrangement on each side of the cross, which may not exceed 30 inches in height, in deference to the height of the cross
- Flower arrangements must be in watertight containers, provided by the bride or the florist and delivered within the specified time for which the church has been reserved
- No candles or flowers are allowed on the altar linens
- The baptismal font shall not be decorated in any way
- Tape or tacks may not be used to secure bows or florals on the pews
- No tents, equipment or other structures allowed inside or on the church grounds
- Interior furnishings may not be rearranged
- Runners may not be used in the aisle
- Please note – no items of any type (rice, birdseed, paper, rose petals (silk or other), bubbles, butterflies, etc) are to be thrown, scattered or released on the Church premises, both inside and out
- Any décor (floral, balloons, etc.) must be removed from the chapel, grounds and streets immediately following the wedding. Please be sure to appoint someone to be responsible for this task
You are responsible for securing your own musicians. Below are local organists we recommend:
|Mary Hamlin Spencer||603-772-2943|
There is only one unisex restroom available in the chapel. Please encourage your wedding party and guests to plan accordingly prior to arriving at the church.
Adhering to Scheduled Time
To ensure your wedding party and guests arrive on time at the rehearsal and wedding, we strongly recommend you provide a map or precise directions to the church. Be aware traffic in summer months can be heavy.
Rehearsal: The bridal party has access to the church for ½ hour before and 1 hour after the scheduled rehearsal time.
Wedding: The bridal party has access to the church 1 hour before and 2 hours after the scheduled wedding time.
Due to lighting limitations, weddings and rehearsals may not start later than one hour before sunset.
If you need to change the time of the rehearsal or wedding, you must contact Sandra Gavutis at 603-394-7847 for approval.
To arrange a time to enter the chapel, please call our wedding coordinator Sandra Gavutis at 603 394-7847 to make an appointment.
A member of the St. Andrews Wedding Volunteer Committee will call you in advance of your wedding to review your wedding details and answer any questions about St. Andrews that you may have. She will then be on hand at your rehearsal and wedding to help ensure everything runs smoothly.
We invite you to speak with Sandra Gavutis, our wedding coordinator for more information, or to schedule your date. You may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org